GENERATOR TECHNICIAN – LEVEL I
Our power generation team has been in the business for over 42 years. We offer all aspects of power generators for standby, prime, and back-up power production. We install, maintain, and service generators for the residential, telecommunications, industrial, and commercial power generation market.
GenPro Energy Solutions is seeking a highly motivated Generator Technician who has a good understanding of basic electrical, mechanical, thermal, and hydraulic principles and practices. The ideal candidate can work independently, is detail orientated, able to meet deadlines & exhibits strong problem-solving skills while maintaining accuracy in all work performed.
Reporting Relationship: Vice President of Power Services
Job Grade: $17.00 hour – $22.00 hour *Based on experience & Knowledge in power Generation
Essential Job Functions:
- Basic understanding to assist and participate in routine inspections and make modifications to IC engines, diesel generators, and associated equipment.
- Basic understanding to perform preventative and corrective maintenance on Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS) and annunciator panels.
- Basic understanding for troubleshooting units to identify possible problems with engine and or generator
- Basic understanding on how to make electrical and mechanical wiring modifications to generator control circuits.
- Basic understanding on how to conduct automatic and manual transfer tests of simulated power outages to ensure generators are functioning properly.
- Basic understanding on how to test batteries, fuel coolant, and oil, ship oil samples for analysis.
- Perform housekeeping duties as needed to keep warehouse area clean and organized
- Adhere to all safety guidelines and policies
- Maintain a clean job site
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- Basic electrical, mechanical, thermal, and hydraulic principles and practices.
- Engine Control Systems and other program logic controls that are associated with IC power generation.
- Electrical and mechanical safety procedures.
- Applicable local, state, and national regulations such as SMAQMD, CARB, and EPA.
- Natural Fire Protection Codes.
- Lockout/Tagout procedures.
- Appropriate electrical and mechanical personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Industrial Diesel and or Gaseous Industrial engines. Certificate preferred
- Rigging standards and principles of safe and efficient methods for handling heavy objects.
- Computer technology.
- Must have strong work ethic and a high level of integrity
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, basic accounting principles knowledge, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts receivable systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with employees and clients in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Ability to make independent judgments and decisions based on standard policy or procedure
- This job requires the employee to report the office for all work performed
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ABILITIES:
- Physically able to lift and move objects 10-50 pounds
- Standing/walking for long periods
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, lift or stretch
- Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance
- Climbing and descending stairs and ladders
- Repetitive use of arms, hands, and fingers
- Comfortable working on feet for long periods of time
SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Must be dependable
- Strong technical skills
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Excellent listening skills
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent team player
- Interpreting electrical and mechanical drawings
- Identifying and repairing problems with engine control systems
- Interpreting schematic diagrams and wiring
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical problems.
- Maintaining records manually and electronically
- Reading electrical and mechanical drawing and prints
- Using electrical testing and calibration equipment
- Using calibrated mechanical tools
- Using stationary machine tooling
- Operating cranes and forklifts
- The job requires working in all elements, depending on job location and time of year
- The job requires employees to have personal tools with them at all times
- Work from all types of ladders
- Perform work at various heights (up to 90’) from ladders, scaffolds, aerial lifts, building roofs, catwalks, and other areas
- Work in restricted areas (switchgear room, manholes, utility tunnels, crawl spaces, attics, etc.)
- Wear personal protective equipment
- Repetitive use of arms, hands, and fingers
- Must be able to work at least 8 hours per day and excessive overtime as required
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Possess a combination of education and technical experience including a minimum of one (1) year in Power Generation
- Minimum of one (1) Manufacturers Power Generation Training Certificates (preferred)
- Valid Driver License with acceptable driving record, preferable with CDL
- International travel may be required, Passport eligible
- Willingness to travel in multi-state region with extended overnight stays
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Job requires employees to have personal tools with them at all times
Applicants being considered for hire must pass a background check and drug test before beginning work. Refusal to submit to a background check or drug testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
GenPro Energy Solutions is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.